----- Original Message -----
From: "David Brin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Killer Bs Discussion" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, October 15, 2004 4:02 PM
Subject: Re: brin: religious reformers

> --- Alberto Monteiro <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > What nonsense! Every Evangelical leader should place
> > Muhammad
> > among the precursors of the Reform, a minor
> > reformism before
> > Luther did the right thing! :-)
>
> Reform means many things.  Muhammed was a reformer
> from polytheism to structured monotheism, with the
> addition of written transcription of the prophet's
> exact words -

The last I heard is that the scholaraly consensus is that the redaction of
Muhammed's words was done years after his death.

>a technological breakthrough un-utilized
> by Moses, Jesus, Buddha, etc... but utilized first by
> Paul of Tarsus in his Letters.

I don't really see how that is true.  Writing in the restored kingdom was
not that rare and uncommon.  Even poor people could either write or have
someone write for them. I presonally read a translation from a recovered
written work asking a judge to allow a worker to retrieve his cloak from
his supervisor who took it because he said he wasn't working.

There were written prophecies in the Dead Sea scrolls that predated Jesus.
The time period between the development and the writing of those prophecies
is not certain to be zero, but it has to be very short...shorter than the
time between Jesus's death and the writing of Mark, for example.

> Paul's orthodoxy raised up a priesthood.

Huh?  If anything, Paul took Jesus's words one more radical step.

>The Protestant Reformation satisfied the long frustrated
> individualistic drive.

But, Paul's book of Romans  was Luther's inspiration for his part of the
Reformation.  Henry VIII had non-theological reasons, IMHO. The Catholic
church relied heavily on Peter for authority.  The Pope was the vicar of
Peter before he became the vicar or Christ.

The development of structure within the Christian church was fairly
gradual.  Part of it can be seen in the differences between the church of
Paul and the church of deuteo-Paul. (Roughly half of the books attributed
to Paul are deuteo-Paul).  Structure continued to develop during the 2nd
and 3rd century. The Nicean Council was the first attempt to have a single
unified structure.

Another complication is that the Christian church that we have today comes
from one branch of Christianity.  The Gnostic Christians lost out by the
Nicean Council, but they may very well have been in the majority in the
late 2nd and the 3rd centuries.  I'm happy they lost out also.  The Gospel
of Thomas, the Secret Gospel of Mark are two Gnostic works.  They placed a
lot more emphasis on secret knowledge for salvation.  Its only somewhat of
an exaggeration to say that getting into heaven, for them, was dependant on
knowing the secret handshake.

Dan M.