----- Original Message -----
From: "Doug Pensinger" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Killer Bs Discussion" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, November 19, 2004 9:52 AM
Subject: Re: More hypocrisy on display than skin

> A player people love to hate - big difference.
>
> > that was directly glorifying casual, extramarital sex.   There is a
> > difference between having women dressed sexily indirectly selling a
> > product on one hand, and having a woman drop her clothes and jump
> > another man in a direct suggestion of sex.
>
> There is a difference, but it is small.  And the fact that they weren't
> hyping an addictive intoxicant in a way that appeals to young (as in too
> young to drink) people makes it _less_ offensive to me.  The only thing
> that bothers me about the spot is the extramarital part which I hadn't
> considered.
>
> > I think that there are a lot of people who
> > don't want that message broadcast into their homes as part of Monday
> > Night Football., and I don't think that there is anything particular
> > wrong,
> > hypocritcial, or un-American about not wanting that message broadcast
> > into their homes as part of Monday Night Football.
>
> Well, I do.  If you think that the beer commercials and the impotence
> spots are just OK for your kids to watch, then its a mighty small step to
> be bitching about this thing.

I don't know.  Beer, as opposed to cigarettes can be enjoyed for its own
sake, and not as part of an addicting pattern.  For example, we got a 6
pack of beer a couple of weeks ago, and I've had three beers during that
time with meals that seem to call for beer instead of milk or water.  All
in all, that level of drinking is more likely to be healthy than unhealthy.

Impotence spots seem to adress long term relationships (marriages) that
have been adversely affected by a physical dysfunction.  Yes it deals with
sex, but it seems to deal with it in a healthy manner...the spots always
seem to involve two people who have loved each other for a long time.
Compared to the standard plot twist in the daytime and nighttime soaps
(getting married means sex becomes boring), I see it as a positive.

> >> I wonder if we would even be having this discussion if it had been
> >> Payton Manning instead of T.O.?
> >
> > Is there any doubt?
>
> Very much so.  How many of the beer commercials depict an interracial
> relationship?  For that matter precious few commercials of _any_ stripe
> even show blacks and whites together.  I'd say that many, even most of
the
> complaints ABC got had an (unspoken) racial component and that if the
> player had been white the controversy would be weak or non existent.

Tony Dungy raised an interesting point here.  He was offended because he
thought the spot itself was racist: going with the idea that black men are
sexual predators....especially with the Kobe (who was supposed to be a role
model black "family man" before)  non-trial.  It wouldn't have played the
same way with Payton Manning as it did with TO.  Given the racist stories
we've all heard "black men willing to do just about anything to get
themselves a white woman", even people who work hard to be non-racist are
conditioned to see the possibility of TO missing work, betraying his
comrades, just for a chance to get some with a white desperate housewife.
(To give a full picture, I'll state that view is not universal, Donovan
McNabb didn't think the spot was offensive.)

I was working, and didn't see the skit, so I don't even know if it would
have bothered me.  But, it is clear that it is possible to be upset with
this skit in particular without being racist, because it did conjure up
racist overtones.

Dan M.