----- Original Message -----
From: "Dave Land" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Killer Bs Discussion" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, December 17, 2004 3:34 PM
Subject: Re: our steep slide

> On Dec 17, 2004, at 1:01 PM, David Brin wrote:
>
> > In today's paper, W said that his new social security stock-investment
> > plan will NOT allow people to invest as they wish.  Rather, they will
> > choose from a few narrowly chosen stocks.  Chosen by an "impartial and
> > trustworthy" elite.
>
> There's already a name for this: "pump-and-dump." It's just now that
> it's being dressed up as social security "reform."

As much as I think that privatization of Social Security paid for by off
the books debt is a bad idea, I never really thought that something like
this would happen.  It makes sense to limit it to the sort of options I
have in my 401k: We have a bond based income fund, an annuity type income
fund, a S&P 500 index fund, a foreign investment fund and two different
types of growth funds.  These flavors are fairly common, and aren't pump
and dump.

If SS were privatized, limiting investments to fairly conservative funds
doesn't seem like a bad idea.  IIRC, a general investment in an S&P fund
has outperformed most other funds over the last 10 years.

Dan M.

Dan M.