--- Gary Denton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> The lessons of Vietnam are far more universally
> accepted than Gautam
> believes.  There is a small dispute fueled by those
> with an agenda
> that the Vietnam War does not reflect well on.

Nonsense.  In my "Sources of American Foreign Policy"
course, for example, we had two directly opposite
articles assigned on the lessons of Vietnam.  In no
sense are they universally agreed on.  Maybe if you
ignore half the debate on the topic, sure, otherwise,
no way.  They could be:
Don't fight insurgents
Don't try to intervene in civil wars
Don't fight in Asia
Don't fight Communists

On the other hand, they could be:
Don't fight wars with one hand tied behind your back
Pursue insurgents to their sources of support, don't
just fight them "in theatre"
Don't trust the left to support American foreign
policy or pursue the interests of the United States

I would point out that the vast majority of the
American military establishment would agree with every
one of the second group of points.  Most people in the
humanities would agree with those in the first.
People in the social sciences (of which political
science is one) would say that both are bullshit.
Since I'm a political scientist, I go with that
option.  But to argue that there's any sort of
consensus on any but a few points is absurd.  The fact
that you think an article by Chomsky is in some way
definitive pretty much speaks for itself.

Furthermore, your ability to say which article agrees
with me is pretty remarkable.  My point was that the
"lessons" are debatable.  From that you are able to
extrapolate what I think the lessons are?  That's
impressive.  Probably the two best short pieces on the
"lessons of Vietnam" in a broader diplomatic sense
are:
Sol W. Sanders & William Henderson, "The Consequences
of 'Vietnam'", Orbis, vol. 21, no. 1 (Spring 1977),
pp. 61-76
A short but excellent article making the case (quite
convincingly, actually) that the hawks were right, and
the loss of the Vietnam War did have serious and
deleterious consequences.

On the other side, there's:
Clark Clifford with Richard Holbrooke, Counsel to the
President (NY: Random House, 1991), pp. 612-614.

The best diplomatic history of the war is _America's
Longest War_ by Herring, which has a solid,
middle-of-the-road perspective.

=====
Gautam Mukunda
[EMAIL PROTECTED]