At 02:18 PM 26/12/04 +0000, you wrote:
My CPU cooler is behaving strangely: it sometimes spins, other
times doesn't. Which means that I have to chance the damned thing.
Problem: is there any way to _remove_ it without breaking
everything?

Typically you can release the spring that holds it on with a screwdriver and take the whole assembly off.

You might be well off to get a new one first and look at the way it goes on before trying to take the old one off.

As an alternative, there are usually 4 Philips screws that hold the fan on the heat sink. If you take the fan off and have a bit of sewing machine or other light oil around (automatic transmission fluid will work) you can carefully peal up the label on one side of the fan and put a tiny drop of oil on the bearing. The amount you can transfer on the end of a paper clip is more than enough.

If you oil the fans every year or two, they will outlast the computer going obsolete.

Keith Henson