On Sun, Jan 09, 2005 at 12:35:17AM -0700, Trent Shipley wrote:

> In any event, you will please quote a passage where GD actually
> recommends raising taxes.

Since I didn't claim he "recommends" it, I don't have to. I implied that
raising taxes was a solution that he has discussed. And he has. Here is
a sampling of 3 emails:

   Denton[1]:

   > Doubling the size of the amount of income subject to SS tax just
   > about takes care of that.

   Denton[2]:
   > To fully fund this 2052 shortfall would require additional revenue of
   > 0.54 percent of GDP, less than we are currently spending in Iraq. Or,
   > as Paul Krugman noted in The New York Times, about one quarter of the
   > revenue lost each year by President Bush's tax cuts, "roughly equal to
   > the fraction of those cuts that goes to people with incomes of $500,000
   > a year."

   Denton[3]:
   > The new accounts could be paid for by reclaiming a small fraction of the
   > massive tax giveaways for the rich that Bush pushed through in his first
   > term. (Those tax cuts cost the federal government $100 billion-a-year.)

> GD has previously said that he regards the income tax as invasive,
> unconstitutional, a fundamental threat to essential freedoms, and
> regardless of any other consideration repugnant.

Really? I guess I haven't been paying attention. I went back and looked
through Brin-L, but I couldn't find Denton's statements that you refer
to above.

> You have repeatedly and viciously accused GD of poor reading
> comprehension.  If you want to declare, accuse or insinuate that GD
> advocated raising taxes, let alone advocated simply taxing the rich
> as a systematic solution to the fiscal imbalance, please produce a
> relevant passage.

See above.

--
Erik Reuter   http://www.erikreuter.net/