* Gary Denton ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

> Perhaps Erik can point me to these mutual funds with management fees
> less than 0.18% that an individual investor can participate in?

Sure. Here are three:

---------------
Expense  TICKER
 Ratio
===============
0.09%    ETSPX
0.10%    FSMKX
0.10%    FSTMX
---------------

Of course, if Americans decide that saving a few basis points outweighs
having a little bit of individual choice in their investments, then the
best thing to do would be to invest the money in a large instutional
type fund. Then you can get down to 0.05% or below, for example:

---------------
Expense  TICKER
 Ratio
===============
0.05%    VITBX
0.03%    VIIIX
0.03%    VITPX

By the way, VIIIX is an S&P500 index fund that actually beat the S&P500
index, AFTER ALL EXPENSES, by an average of 0.06% a year over the last
10 years. In other words, VIIIX has a net NEGATIVE expense ratio! (This
is because Gus Sauter and his team are skilled at transactions involving
bid/ask spreads and S&P500 index futures)

> The other argument that Erik is making are that the the $2 trillion
> transition cost is simply making explicit the unfunded obligations of
> the SS fund.  Not quite.  A good argument if true but the $2 trillion
> is simply additional federal borrowing to replace the money diverted
> from going to SS to meet current obligations from individuals.  You
> can recognize that Erik realizes this when he states the unfunded
> obligations of SS is over $10 trillion.

No, you are quite confused. The SS deficit is somewhere between $3
trillion and $10 trillion, depending on how you measure. The $2 trillion
in borrowing is simply transferring $2 trillion of that deficit from an
implicit obligation to an explicit one on the books.

--
Erik Reuter   http://www.erikreuter.net/