Erik wrote:

We need to fix the system NOW by not promising any new benefits
beyond what has already been promised . My favored way to do that was
elaborated in the PSS system suggested by Kotlikoff that I summarized
here earlier (basically, every dollar that anyone has already paid into
the SS system will be paid out fairly in benefits, but no new benefits
would be accrued and no new contributions would be made). Thus, no one
is cheated out of their fair return for contributions already made, but
we don't continue with the unfair system where current young workers are
almost certain to pay in more than they ever receive in benefits. Even
so. today's young taxpayers would still get a raw deal, because some
sort of new tax would have to pay for the benefits of people 50 and over
who are expecting benefits, but at least we can avoid sticking it to the
generation being born now if we fix it now.

OK, a few questions. I know that you may have answered these in one way or the other at some point in the discussion, but either I haven't understood the answers or I missed them.

1. How far would the tweaks I mentioned (and whatever other practical steps can be taken) do towards actually fixing the system as it now exists?

2. What is the advantage of having the Feds involved _at all_ in individual retirement savings that are not SS?

3. Why can't we take whatever excess money there is _now_ in the system (including money that the Fed owes SS) and invest it in some secure way in order to insure SS's solvency?

--
Doug