* Dan Minette ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

> Those folks got a lot more than they paid in....as a fraction of GDP.
> But, since they weathered the Great Depression and WWII, and built a
> United States where I could prosper, I don't begrudge them that. The
> fact that the baby boomers will do a bit better than Generation X (but
> not nearly the difference between my father's generation and mine)
> and Generation X will do a bit better than my 3 kid's generation, is
> not a matter of great guilt for me.  My kid's generation should be,
> on the whole, wealthier and longer living than my generation.  A ~10%
> difference in return ratios doesn't bother me; neither does the almost
> factor of 2 difference between my folks generation (born in '16 and
> '20) and mine.

So long as each generation gets more of GDP, and more than they paid
in, you are setting up an unsustainable progression. Worse, as each
generation reaches near-retirement, they will tend to support higher
benefits for themselves and higher taxes for the next generation. And
the politicians will give it to them, since spending now and leaving
the bill for the next elected official is good politics. The system is
broken and needs to be fixed now.

--
Erik Reuter   http://www.erikreuter.net/