I'm about out of ideas without being there to poke at it.

First, with only a working disk on the system, try booting using a
Knoppix disk and see whether you can read the new hard drive.  If you
cannot, this is a bad suggestion.  (However, I have been able to boot
every Intel 386 and compatibles system with Knoppix for at least three
years, so this procedure has worked for me.)

Second, after changing to the troublesome disk (and making sure every
jumper is the same, etc), try booting using the same Knoppix disk and
see whether you can read the troublesome hard drive.

If you can can read the troublesome disk, then you can copy the info.
If not, you have a hardware problem and you will have to spend a
fortune to get the data, and you may not get it ...

If you cannot boot off of a CD directly, try the `Smart Boot Manager'
(SBM).  Put that program on a floppy and use it first, then try the
CD.  My copy of sbm is quite old; I don't think it has been updated.
The program works great with old Pentium 100s that I have used for
testing (i.e. 100 MHz Pentiums; I do not know whether it works with
486s).

--
    Robert J. Chassell
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]                         GnuPG Key ID: 004B4AC8