On Feb 7, 2005, at 11:09 AM, Nick Lidster wrote:

Eliminate Windows and you'll eliminate spam. As well as proximally all
viruses extant today.

"So what your saying is that, programers wouldnt be able to create a viris that could infect a mac OS?, or any other os that is not windows based?"

I'd like you to show me where I said that.

I said nothing of the kind; in fact there have been some rather devastating 'nix-based viruses over the years; one of the big ones from the 80s (I believe) was a sendmail worm that allowed *email* based instructions to root a system. Bad stuff, but fortunately one that was caught and secured against some time ago.

The virus detection and killing front is constantly changing. Only a fool would imply otherwise. However, only a fool would suggest that the inherently-insecure Windows platform is anything but the number one propagation engine for viruses in the world today.

I'll snip the asinine hyperbole...

Take the MS OS out of the equation... say 5 yrs from now..... leaving any other upstart to take over the market share.... you actualy think that programmers witht he knowledge and skill are going to jsut say... w00t w00t MS is goone lets not bother tring to make a viris that can attack these other OS's.

So your belief is that MS is attacked because it's the most prevalent platform? Into which orifice have you inserted your cranium?

I love talking to low end mac users that say "i cant get a viris im on a MAC", then talk to a HIgh end user "well im sure that i dont have a viris... but you know what it is possible that i may get one, it will only take a person to decide to do it and it will be done... and when it happens there will be some pissed off mac users"

I've got ten plus years professional experience in programming. On multiple platforms. I'll wager I've forgotten more about hacking code than you've ever learned.

And since you feel it appropriate to set up a straw man and then knock it down in as insulting an ad-hominem fashion as your shrunken cortex can formulate, here's some advice for you, kid. Get a spelling dictionary or go back to school. The word is VIRUS, not "viris", and you really need to learn a few things about apostrophizing as well.

I won't engage in dialog with low-end *English* users. This discussion is terminated.

-- Warren Ockrassa, Publisher/Editor, nightwares Books http://books.nightwares.com/ Current work in progress "The Seven-Year Mirror" http://www.nightwares.com/books/ockrassa/Flat_Out.pdf