Star Tribune [Minneapolis, MN] | 30 Jan 2005

Bill Moyers: There is no tomorrow

   One of the biggest changes in politics in my lifetime is that the
   delusional is no longer marginal. It has come in from the fringe,
   sit in the seat of power in the Oval Office and in Congress. For
the
   first time in our history, ideology and theology hold a monopoly of
   power in Washington.

   Theology asserts propositions that cannot be proven true;
ideologues
   hold stoutly to a worldview despite being contradicted by what is
   generally accepted as reality. When ideology and theology couple,
   their offspring are not always bad but they are always blind. And
   there is the danger: voters and politicians alike, oblivious to the
   facts.

   Remember James Watt, President Ronald Reagan's first secretary of
the
   interior? My favorite online environmental journal, the
ever-engaging
   Grist, reminded us recently of how James Watt told the U.S.
Congress
   that protecting natural resources was unimportant in light of the
   imminent return of Jesus Christ. In public testimony he said,
"after
   the last tree is felled, Christ will come back."

   Beltway elites snickered. The press corps didn't know what he was
   talking about. But James Watt was serious.

   [...]

http://worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=42748
WorldNetDaily | 8 Feb 2005
Bill Moyers smears ex-Reagan official
James Watt says false quote used to cast him as religious nut

http://www.mediainfo.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id
=1000797041
Editor and Publisher [NY] | 9 Feb 2005
Bill Moyers Apologizes to James Watt for Apocryphal Quote

xponent
While We Are On The Subject Maru
rob