On Feb 10, 2005, at 12:29 PM, kerri miller wrote:

I was never exposed to the original series, but I'm loving BG so
far - it has a wonderful B5 feel to the darkness.

The original series was OK in some respects, but *awfully* silly in many others. Much of the mythology mentioned in it was lifted more or less wholesale from Mormon beliefs, which made more than a few Mormons upset. I don't know if it was out of a sense of their beliefs being mocked or disrespected, or because in the context of the series the beliefs made sense, more or less -- but when promoted by the LDS church as truth, the image of Lorne Greene solemnly making declarations about "sealing" and such was what prospective new members ended up with rather than the sense of awe that the LDS church preferred.

On top of that the FX were ... well, the scenes were *tolerable* but the same footage kept getting used over and over. Obvious budget issues.

And the hair ... oh my, 1970s disco hair. Every. Where. Not as bad as _Buck Rogers_, but still, pretty bad. If you're in the mood for a giggle, rent the movie sometime to get a feel for what the series entailed. and note the changes; there are many, most of them improvements.

AND isn't it nice to
see the same special effects shop that did Firefly getting work? They do
some wonderful techniques.

They do. It's nice seeing an RCS on a spacecraft rather than traditional atmospheric maneuvering techniques, and using projectile weapons instead of "beam" type devices makes the whole thing a little more grounded in what we like to think of as reality.

(Of course the lightspeed stuff is another matter...)

-- Warren Ockrassa, Publisher/Editor, nightwares Books http://books.nightwares.com/ Current work in progress "The Seven-Year Mirror" http://www.nightwares.com/books/ockrassa/Flat_Out.pdf