Dan,

Touche' on "pyramid-scheme" being a pejorative term for Social Security.
Of course, I would make the argument that the difference is that
"pyramid-scheme" is an *accurate* term for Social Security, whereas
"trickle-down economics" is purely pejorative but ehhh...... point taken.

I'm not really sure that it is accurate to describe Bill Clinton as wanting
to save Social Security with the surplus, but I can't admit to being
particularly interested in that debate right now either.   Basically, I
think that the best argument you can make is that Bill Clinton wanted to
pay down the national debt as much as possible.   (Of course, what Bill
Clinton really wanted to do was nationalize health care, but the
Republicans pretty well kept that from happening.)   Now, paying down the
national debt would only really have benefited Social Security to the
extent that the overall ratio of US debt to GDP might become so overly
burdensome in the near future as to prevent the government from borrowing
to cover revenue shortfalls in Social Security.  After all, nothing done in
the current year can affect nominal budget *deficits* in future years.
Anyhow, even with our current deficits, and comparing our current level of
overall debt to that of other OECD countries, I am not at all sure that
overall US debt is nearing that point.    So, while paying down the
national debt would have had some marginal positive effects on our future
ability to borrow to cover Social Security shortfalls, I am not at all sure
that those benefits would have been worth getting all excited about.

You then write:

>But, the recession is over and, if you include borrowing from the Social
>Security trust fund in the deficit, he's running a 600 billion/year deficit
>over 3 years after the recession ended.

And the again:

>Bush's plan is/was to permanantly lower taxes in a manner the benefits the
>top 10% households, measured by family income, disporportionately.  He
>masks this by talking about only part of the total taxes paid by people and
>also talking about only part of his tax cut when he makes comparisions.

To which I can only point out, that you can't have it both ways Dan.    On
one hand, the Social Security Trust Fund represent savings from which the
government is borrowing.   On the other hand, the Social Security Trust
Fund represents taxes.   You'll have to pick one or the other, Dan - its
not fair to keep switching to the one or the other as need to bash
Republicans.

>>whereas Bush's.... first tax
>>cut
>> was progressivity-neutral  BTW),
>
>Are you sure.  Did you include all of the tax cuts and all of the taxes.
>Did you include payroll taxes in your calculation, for example.

In keeping with the convention of Bush's critics, I did not consider
payroll taxes to be taxes.    I did include all of the tax cuts, and their
likely extensions - or rather Citizens for Tax Justice, which performed the
analysis that I am citing, did all of these things.

Lastly, I'll admit that I screwed up in describing the government's "take"
of the economy in terms of revenues rather than expenditures.   The point,
however, was that increased government revenues, particularly surpluses,
will over time generally allow expenditures to increase (this was
particularly evident in the behavior of State Government budgets over the
past decade), whereas Bush has been explicit that one of his goals has been
to lower Federal Government revenues, and then use pressures to balance the
budget to hopefully achieve a concomitant decrease in Federal Spending.

JDG