----- Original Message -----
From: "Gary Denton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Killer Bs Discussion" <brin-l@mccmedia.com>
Sent: Thursday, February 17, 2005 1:34 PM
Subject: Re: Social Security Facts:

> No, but I would suggest that proposals while there are GOP majorities
> in the House and Senate and a GOP President will go nowhere.  That is
> likely when something real will happen on the political equation that
> only Nixon could go to China.  Only the Democrats will be able to get
> the support for a real fix.

The last fix, which was bigger than this one needs to be, was with Reagan
as president.  I think it would be possible for Bush to push through the
plan I suggested....especially if he illustrated that he was putting a high
cap on SS.

> There are also some hidden bias in the example you use.  By the time
> someone will be able to get 90K a year in benefits run through what
> their income subject to FICA would have to be. (Interesting how
> increasing this FICA high endcap is also one of the proposals on the
> table so the GOP doesn't see this as the problem.).

Sure, they'd be making a lot of income: roughly two 160k incomes/year.
But, that's really the point....as real average wage income rises, so does
SS payments.  I'm proposing a cap on benefits at roughly 25.25k for a
single earner, at roughly 38k for a 1 wage earner couple, and at 50.5k for
a two wage earner couple (2005 dollars).  This is well above the poverty
line.  After that, it seems reasonable for people to fund their own
retirement.

>All though this
> is something that can be pointed to as an example of a system
> supposedly out of control the real fiscal problems do not come from
> this maximum wage earners but the low end and the median.

It's not so much out of control as needs to be tweaked. In 25 years it
would require a massive correction.  With my proposal, people now making
30k/year would be maxed out in '45, and folks now making 20k/year would be
maxed out around '60.  Is there a problem with benefits at the levels I'm
suggesting?

Dan M.