Erik Reuter wrote:

We REALLY have to stop raising the payroll tax, even if it does feel
good to stick it to the rich. We can't keep paying more and more to SS,
as we have been doing for the past 70 years. It has got to stop, and
now is the time to stop it.

I guess I'll give you a chance to discuss this reasonably again -- because I remain curious about something that has been missing from your arguments.

You've never explained why the increases have to stop now, in particular, at its current level. Why not just cut it it half? Why not double it?

It seems bizarre to me to argue from principle, rather than facts, that we must freeze or shrink social security when our country has an increasing number of people in need.

Certainly we cannot keep increasing it forever.  But why *now*, why the current
level?

Nick