----- Original Message -----
From: "Erik Reuter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Killer Bs Discussion" <brin-l@mccmedia.com>
Sent: Monday, March 21, 2005 12:22 PM
Subject: Re: Imax 'shuns films on evolution'

> * Dave Land ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
>
> > Actually, I thought it was pretty clear that Nick was objecting to what
> > he perceived as the Beeb's framing the story in the point of view of
> > the (literalist Christian) religious types who were reportedly
> > objecting to the films in question. The argument that "the Bible
> > contradicts science" is just a point of view. Moreover, it is a point
>
> A point of view held for most of the church's history,

Not really.  The concept that we should not use the bible as a means of
understanding nature predates science (as opposed to natural philosophy)
by hundreds of years. It was not presented by just any theorist either:...
rather it was Tommy Acquinis...who was _the_ most influential doctor of the
church (with Augustine a close second) almost 1000 years ago.

Dan M.