--- Nick Arnett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Are you saying that Warren been trying to prevent
> democracy in Iraq?

Functionally, yes.

> Are you saying that war is the only way to get rid
> of an evil dictator?  Or
> war was the only way to get rid of this one?  Am I
> mistaken in believing that
> in almost every other case, our policy has been not
> to go to war for that
> reason?  Is "removing an evil dictator"
> justification for this war?

It was _one_ justification.  People who argue that it
was only WMD are editing the transcript.  WMD was one
reason for invading, but it wasn't at all the only one
- for Tony Blair, for example, the reason was clearly
overwhelmingly humanitarian.  WMD were the most
important reason for me, but not at all the only one.
War was definitely the only way to get rid of this
one.  We tried other methods for 12 years.  Give me an
example of a totalitarian dictator overthrown without
war, for that matter.  I can't think of one - they
were all either beaten in combat (Hitler, Hussein) or
died of old age (Stalin, Mao).  We didn't go to war in
other circumstances.  We didn't in Rwanda.  That
didn't work out so well for the Rwandans.  We haven't
in the Sudan.  That's not working out so well for the
Sudanese either.

> For what it's worth, there is no major religion that
> accepts such a
> justification.  There are two great religious
> traditions with regard to war --
> pacifism and "just war" theology.  The latter never
> allows for a pre-emptive
> war.  Virtually every major religious body in the
> world (the one notable
> exception being the Southern Baptist Association)
> urged us not to undertake
> it, before it began, which means before we even knew
> for sure that Iraq was no
> threat to us.

Oh, come on, Nick, I can sling "just war" theology
around too.  There are, for that matter, lots of
non-religious doctrines about the ethics of war -
starting with Michael Walzer's, for example.  I even
have one - Dan quotes it on the list every once in a
while.  First, you're wrong about the other never
allowing a pre-emptive war.  What you mean is that it
never allows a _preventive_ war.  Every military on
earth has a doctrine for pre-emptive war.  What we
fought in Iraq was a preventive, not a pre-emptive,
war.  Second, a lot of the "just war" theorizers are
just playing games, setting up just war criteria that
can never be met.  That's what your friend Wallis
does, for that matter.  Depending on whose you use,
just war theology _does_ include humanitarian war
under its precepts.  So do some of the non-religious
doctrines.  Kant, in, umm, I think On Perpetual Peace
(I'm sure Dan can quote it from memory) sets out as
one justification for intervention being when a
tyrannical government is acting inside its borders
with such unrestrained violence that its populace
cannot overthrow it on its own, for example.  That
sounds like Iraq to me.  Finally, the original
formulation of Catholic just war was drawn up
centuries ago.  Nuclear weapons weren't exactly a
pressing concern back then, and while Europeans had
already exterminated a few cities, they had to do it
retail.  We do have to rethink these ideas as
situations change, and Father Hehir doesn't seem to
have gotten around to it yet.  He probably will,
though.

> Very aggressive inspections by an international
> force more like police than
> military, indicting the leader in a world court and
> other pressure could be
> brought to bear in such situations.  Well-developed
> policies and plans for
> such intervention, backed by international
> agreement, would go a very long way
> toward peace.  And so would many things that I have
> a direct part in --
> consumption of oil and other scarce resouces, more
> diverse voices in the
> media, a more intelligent national discussion of
> issues and values...
>
> Nick

Oh, come on.  I'm sure Saddam Hussein would have been
quaking in his boots at the idea of _being indicted by
the World Court_.  God forbid.  Or, heck, if you gave
up your car.  Come on, Nick, this doesn't even qualify
as an abdication of responsibility, it's not even
concrete enough for _that_.  This is exactly what I
mean - it's preening.  You can say exactly how much
more moral you are than all those nasty people who
supported the war...and evade any and all questions
about what, exactly, that opposition meant for Iraq.
Exactly how would any of these things have toppled a
regime supported by the Mukhbarat?  We had that
country on starvation sanctions and air strikes for 12
years.  In that span of time we now know he was able
to corrupt the UN and buy off the French (one quarter
of Iraqi oil fields were contracted out to Total, the
French oil company).  I mean, I'm sure that a more
intelligent discussion of national ideas and values
would have terrified Saddam (and since I'm quite
confident that more intelligent discussion would end
up on my side of the fence on most issues, I'm all in
favor of it) but I don't think it would have helped
the people being dropped feet-first into shredding machines.

Gautam Mukunda
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
"Freedom is not free"
http://www.mukunda.blogspot.com