On Apr 7, 2005, at 10:10 PM, Warren Ockrassa wrote:
> On Apr 7, 2005, at 7:49 PM, Ronn!Blankenship wrote:
>> At 08:59 PM Thursday 4/7/2005, Warren Ockrassa wrote:
>>> though there's some wiggle room there -- IIRC the original text had it
>>> as "behold, a young woman shall conceive".
>> Which is correct, afaik.
> And hardly remarkable. Young women conceive pretty regularly. Embedding
> such a phrase in a prophecy is a little like predicting rain in Seattle.

I think your "lay scholarship" isn't serving you too well here.

The prophecy in question is not just that "a young woman shall conceive,"
which, as you point out, is hardly news. I think the message of the
prophecy is something like "There will be this young woman, see, and
she'll conceive and bear a Son, who will be..." and it goes on from there.

The point isn't that a young woman will conceive (well, duh), but that a
particular young woman will conceive a particular son, who will be ...
special.

It's just a way of telling a story, that's all.

Dave

And behold, I shall write an email... Maru