On Thu, 7 Apr 2005 22:40:04 -0700 (PDT), Gautam Mukunda wrote

> ... virtually no one
> thought that inspections were working _before_ the
> war.

No one?  No one?  What is your definition of "working" here?  Certainly no one
saw Saddam stepping down immediately and no one thought he was particularly
cooperative, but are those the only measures that inspections are working?

> > And what about South Africa and India?  Are they not
> > examples of regime
> > changes that were accomplished without war?  Today,
> > are we open to such
> > possibilities, which seemed impossible to most
> > people before they happened?
>
> Well, first, no, India is _not_ an example of a regime
> change without war.  Not at all.  India is an example
> of a country gaining independence without war, which
> is a different thing.

Different in a way that matters?  India was being run by a group of elites who
mistreated and took advantage of the majority of people.  Those people were
British, rather than locals, but how does that make the situation
significantly different from Iraq?  Why couldn't the same justifications for
the Iraq war have applied to India?

> South Africa reformed under
> F.W. De Klerk.

Are you saying that it was led by De Klerk?  Seems to me that without Nelson
Mandela and Desmond Tutu, De Klerk wouldn't have budged.  Are you saying that
this was an example of an oppressive leadership leading itself out of power?

> Neither of these regimes had much in
> common with Saddam Hussein's.

What are you saying?  That the British in India were much nicer than Saddam,
and apartheid was nicer than Saddam, thus war was the only answer in Iraq
because he was a nastier guy?  Are you open to the idea that these changes
came about without war because of the nature of the leaders of the peaceful
revolutions?  If the Brits were nastier, do you think Gandhi would have
failed?  They got pretty nasty, didn't they?  Same for the white minority in
South Africa.

It seems that you look at the oppressors and say they're too powerful to take
down without war, while I'm looking at the liberators and saying they're too
powerful to be resisted.  No empire has ever survived and they're usually
brought down by their own arrogance, despite superior military strength.

> they didn't
> pretend that there was some magic option which could
> provide all good things.

> What's wrong is pretending that _not_ going to war
> didn't also have costs.

Are you saying that you hear me using make-believe arguments?

> Like in Korea?  What is the historical parallel for
> such a police action?  Can you provide _one_ example
> of such a thing ever occurring?

Congo, Cyprus, Lebanon, Haiti, Yougoslavia, Cambodia, Mozambique, and even
Somalia... with varying degrees of success, of course.

> Neither of which are even vaguely similar situations.
> He's not arguing from his conclusion, he's arguing
> from reality.

Are you saying that I'm arguing from fantasy?  I prefer to call it hope and
faith.

Nick