Nick Arnett wrote

    Korea is about the worst example to pick, since it looked far more
    like an undeclared war than a police action.

If I remember my history rightly, senior members of the US government
thought that the initial part of the Korean war was a feint.  They
thought that WWIII would actually involve the invasion of Western
Europe.  Among other influences on the US government, they understood
that Stalin had said that his troops did not get as far as Tzar
Alexander's (whose troops got to Paris after Napoleon was defeated).

Incidentally, Izzy Stone suggested that North Korea invaded the South
manipulations that were on their way to bankrupting North Korea.
However, this does not contradict the notion that senior members of
the US government thought that the initial part of the Korean war was
a feint.

(I do not know whether this commodity's price manipulation occurred.
At that time, commodities' prices were very volatile.  If I remember a
graph I saw years and years ago, it was not until after the Korean war
that commodities' prices became somewhat more stable.)

--
    Robert J. Chassell
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]                         GnuPG Key ID: 004B4AC8