JDG  wrote:

First, Democrats will have a difficult time rebranding themselves as the
anti-government Party.   After all, you have previously defined the
Democrats on this List as being the Party that favored *every*
big-government program over the past 100-or-so years over Republican
opposition.   That is an awful lot of history to jujitsu.

Democrats have the reputation as big spenders, but it's recently been documented on the list that Republicans are the most irresponsible when it comes to spending.

1) I somehow don't think that it is a winning strategy for the Democrats to argue that the nation aught to be preparing the armed forces to take on
another major... mission. Moreover, such a debate would inevitably turn into a referendum on the merits of the Iraq War, and the Republicans have
already won the last time that was tried.

CNN/USA Today/Gallup Poll. April 1-2, 2005. N=1,040 adults nationwide. MoE ± 3.

Do you approve or disapprove of the way George W. Bush is handling the situation in Iraq?"

Approve 43%
Disapprove 54%
Unsure     3%

All in all, do you think it was worth going to war in Iraq, or not?"
     .
Worth Going To War 45%
Not Worth Going To War 53%
Unsure 2%

"Do you think the Bush Administration deliberately misled the American public about whether Iraq has weapons of mass destruction, or not?"

Yes, Misled 50%
No,Did Not 48%
Unsure 2%

Dr. Brin didn't even mention the issue that I find most egregious; Geneva Convention and human rights violations by the administration.

--
Doug