On Apr 13, 2005, at 5:23 PM, Warren Ockrassa wrote way too much on the topic of disclaimers:

Why add more disclaimer than point to a discussion? "In my opinion, this
thing is invalid, but of course I could be wrong and I'm open to
discussion on the topic" ... kind of wordy if we can *presume* that the
statement "this thing is invalid" is already an opinion and all the
other verbiage associated therewith is understood to be applicable in
all cases.

I started this drift. I never intended that anyone lard their statements of opinion with disclaimers.

"This thing is invalid" differs from "I cannot see the validity in this
thing" in important respects having to do with rhetorical intent.

With "this thing is invalid," the speaker draws a line in the sand and
throws down an implied challenge to wrong-thinking "this thing is valid"
believers.

"I cannot see the validity in this thing" expresses the speaker's state
in trying to understand this thing and invites others to agree, disagree
or leave the speaker with his or her doubts.

Dave