At 05:58 PM Thursday 4/14/2005, Dave Land wrote:
On Apr 13, 2005, at 5:23 PM, Warren Ockrassa wrote way too much on the topic of disclaimers:

Why add more disclaimer than point to a discussion? "In my opinion, this
thing is invalid, but of course I could be wrong and I'm open to
discussion on the topic" ... kind of wordy if we can *presume* that the
statement "this thing is invalid" is already an opinion and all the
other verbiage associated therewith is understood to be applicable in
all cases.

I started this drift. I never intended that anyone lard their statements of opinion with disclaimers.

"This thing is invalid" differs from "I cannot see the validity in this
thing" in important respects having to do with rhetorical intent.

With "this thing is invalid," the speaker draws a line in the sand and
throws down an implied challenge to wrong-thinking "this thing is valid"
believers.

"I cannot see the validity in this thing" expresses the speaker's state
in trying to understand this thing and invites others to agree, disagree
or leave the speaker with his or her doubts.

Agreed. One approach invites discussion which, with luck, may lead to discovery of the truth about the subject or to building a consensus of opinion, or at least leave the participants "agreeing to disagree."

The other approach is an invitation to an argument or a flamewar . . .

I personally prefer the first type of discussion.  YMMV.

Though There Are Days When I Am In The Mood To Throw Gasoline On The Fire Maru

-- Ronn! :)

IMPORTANT: This email is intended for the use of the individual addressee(s) above and may contain information that is confidential, privileged or unsuitable for overly sensitive persons with low self-esteem, no sense of humo(u)r or irrational religious beliefs (including atheism). • If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution or copying of this email is not authorized (either explicitly or implicitly) and constitutes an irritating social faux pas. • Unless the word absquatulation has been used in its correct context somewhere other than in this warning, it does not have any legal or grammatical use and may be ignored. • No animals were harmed in the transmission of this email, although that ugly little yapping dog next door is living on borrowed time, let me tell you. • Those of you with an overwhelming fear of the unknown will be gratified to learn that there is no hidden message revealed by reading this warning backwards, so just ignore that Alert Notice from Microsoft. However, by pouring a complete circle of salt around yourself and your computer you can ensure that no harm befalls you and your pets. • If you have received this email in error, please add some nutmeg and egg whites, whisk and place in a warm oven for 40 minutes.