On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 11:25:07 -0500, Dan Minette wrote

> Actually, the definition of a good guy is anyone who wants to live
> in peace and freedom and would be willing to let his neighbor do the
> same.  That's not really that bad of a definition.

Whose definition is it?  Yours?  Bush's?  Mine?

> had to seek peace at the barrel of the gun, I don't see how we can
> automatically declare all such views evidence of bad theology.

I haven't said that I think Bonhoeffer's theology is bad.  I know Bonhoeffer's
theology and George Bush is no Bonhoeffer.

> But, it was faith in human institutions. It was faith in the power
> of human law.  By doing things the right we, we somehow evoke God's
> power and everything turns out for the best.

That's rather ambiguous, isn't it.  Whose definition of "best?"  Ours or
God's?

I heard a news item about a Marine regiment in Iraq that had a large number of
churches praying for it, and none of their troops were killed or suffered
amputations.  All that prayer worked, the report said.  Does this mean that
our prayers for Wes didn't "work?"  What were they praying for, exactly?  And
is the survival of all of those Marines proof that prayer works?  How can
prayer, which is based in faith, ever be proven?  We could said that all those
people prayed for the Marines and they all survived, so it all worked out for
the best.  As far as I'm concerned, things worked out for Wes's company, which
had a lot of losses, for the best, too, as long as we make the best of it,
trusting that God redeems all.

There was nothing in the six-point plan that claimed that God was behind it or
that it would surely work.  It was presented with churches behind it in hope
of success and under a moral imperative to try all other alternatives before
going to war.

> But, in a world where theological
> understanding about the consequences of war and inaction in the face
> of dictators

I feel angry when anyone bring up "inaction" or "doing nothing," etc., in this
thread.  Nobody is suggesting doing nothing.  But there are times when
something seems terribly wrong by human standards, but God asked us to let
events unfold, rather than insisting on unfolding them our way.  Our notion of
control gets us in plenty of trouble, partly because we imagine that we are in
control!  The presumption that only we, the United States, can minimize the
harm being done by a dictator, easily leaves God out of the picture (or worse,
makes Him a cheerleader for us, pro-war, pro-rich, etc.).  When, how and to
what degree to intervene is rarely clear, but that does not change a deep
presumption against war.  To reduce the uncertainty to non-interventionism is
unfair.

> we cannot count on
> God to intervene because we eschew violence ourselves.

Good heavens, Dan, we can *always* count on God to intervene, my faith tells
me.  Without God's constant, total involvement, all of creation would come to
a halt and we would cease to exist.  The question is not whether God is
involved, the question is what God is asking of us as the body of Christ.  Do
you believe that God is constantly involved, constantly present?  Do you
believe that sometimes we need to intervene because God isn't doing so?

> No, but it was sold as a plausible alternative.  There is no
> evidence that it was.  How does it differ from the actions at my
> church that I described?

No evidence?  Do you believe that we are obligated to take seriously the voice
of the majority of Christians around the world?  Would you agree that
democracy is a good system not because people are good, but because we have
such capacity for wrong-doing?  When the majority of churches and Christians
around the world are telling us that what we are about to do is wrong, and
leaders that represent a huge number of them present an alternative, how can
you say there is no evidence?  Are they fools?

Nick