--- Nick Arnett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 19:32:35 -0700 (PDT), Gautam
> Mukunda wrote
> > You are
> > twisting his statement into an excuse for inaction
> -
> > we do not know God's will, so we must do nothing.
>
> Are you willing to stop saying that, since it's not
> true?

Well, Nick, when you provide _one single example_ of
wanting to do something more meaningful than getting
an indictment at the World Court(!), which is what
your fabled Council of Churches plan adds up to, I'll
stop saying it.  Your vague pronouncements that you
wanted to do something, while you strenuously attack
all the somethings that might actually have _achieved_
anything, are less convincing than that would be.

> > That's exactly wrong.  What Lincoln was saying is
> > exactly the opposite of that point - he was
> saying, we
> > cannot know God's will, so we must do the best we
> can
> > given what we _do_ know.
>
> So we agree.  But we seem to disagree about what is
> the best we can do.

No.  Because "doing something" doesn't mean doing
something that we know, before doing it, will have no
effect whatsoever.  It means doing something that
might actually have an impact on the problem we're
trying to solve.  The other is magical thinking, as
Dan has pointed out.

> > Lincoln contained multitudes,
> > but none of those multitudes can plausibly be
> enlisted
> > in an argument that we should sit on our hands in
> the
> > face of great evil.
>
> Have you ever considered the fact that if I really
> believed this poppycock, I
> would speak rather differently about my dead nephew?
>
> Nick

You can love him and still not support the cause for
which he gave his life.  My parents opposed the war
and did everything short of threatening to disown me
to stop me from volunteering to go.  It didn't mean
that they loved me, or, for that matter, freedom, any
less.  They just didn't want me to be at risk for it,
however much I believed in the cause.  My parents are
not terribly susceptible to feeling that wishing makes
things so, so they did recognize the trade-offs,
though.

I'm going to make one rather more delicate point, I
think.  Two of my best friends on this list are devout
Christians.  In Real Life, several of my best friends
are devout Evangelicals, Orthodox Catholics, or even
Fundamentalists.  I have never felt uncomfortable with
their way of explaining how their faith informs their
beliefs about politics, even when that meant that we
very strongly disagreed in our views on government
policies.  I, as a non-Christian, find President
Bush's expressions of faith and how it informs his
policies to be remarkably welcoming, in fact.  But, to
be blunt, the way in which you use faith - stripped,
so far as I can tell, from rational analysis of means
and ends - makes my skin crawl, which is one of the
main reasons I think you often get such an emotional
response from me.  The conflation of all types of
moral analysis with that that of your own particular
religious principles is one thing - the second is the
consistent failure to acknowledge that just having
faith that something will happen is not a policy.  God
does not, so far as I can tell, intervene to make the
government policies I want successful just because I
believe in Him.  The best I can do is support policies
that history and political science and every other
type of knowledge and analysis tell me might work and
that are as ethical as I can make them, in the hope
that, as Lincoln said, this puts me on His side.  But
arguing that I should - in this case - not go to war
because God is opposed to war (maybe he is, but I
think and pray that He is opposed to other things far
more than He is to war) and therefore I should do
other things (like your council of churches plan) that
could work only if He directly intervenes on this
earth in a way that He certainly didn't in the last
fifty years for European Jews, or Guatemalans, or
Cambodians, or Russians, or Chinese, or Rwandans, or
Kosovars, or Bosnian Muslims - that, it seems to me,
is arguing that your faith dictates specific policy in
a way that I have never seen (for example) the
President do.  I can't really see how it's different,
in fact, from saying we should do this because God
told you that's what to do, and that's not an attitude
that's healthy for democracy, or safe for those of us
who are religious minorities in the world's most
tolerant and diverse democracy.

Gautam Mukunda
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
"Freedom is not free"