At 10:30 AM Wednesday 4/20/2005, Dan Minette wrote:

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ronn!Blankenship" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Killer Bs Discussion" <brin-l@mccmedia.com>
Sent: Wednesday, April 20, 2005 12:56 AM
Subject: Re: One more!

> Which one is best depends on what you are trying to do atm.  (I have
both,
> tho I haven't gotten around to reinstalling the FORTRAN on this machine
> yet.)  In this particular case, doing it in FORTRAN would be a little
more
> complicated than typing "Factorial [1000000]" and pressing Shift+Enter .
. .

Fair enough.  If you have both, and an overnight computer run to spare,
your solution is the best.  I was thinking more of cost/benefit for someone
on a budget who had to pick something to buy.

Oh, I agree. And, as Erik pointed out, there are now much cheaper alternatives to Mathematica (although I'm not sure if they work with the various add-on packages written for Mathematica). At the time I got it, alternatives were fewer if any, and I needed the compatibility. Of course, I wish I'd had both Mathematica and the FORTRAN package back in the good old days . . . though I suppose one would have needed at least a high-end IBM 370 or bigger mainframe in those days just to run them . . . and just think of how slow it would have been . . .

-- Ronn! :)