At 07:07 PM 4/24/2005 -0500, Ronn! wrote:

>> >This is scientifically debateable.
>>
>>Really?   This would require the [group of cells] to be something other
>>than human life between the meeting of the sperm and the egg, and the
>>beginning of human life.   During this time the [group of cells] would have
>>to be either: a) not human or b) not alive or c) both.
>
>It is well known that a significant fraction (1/3?) of fertilized eggs
>never make it to a live birth.

I don't see how that is relevant.   If one accepts that life begins at
conception, then that would simply constitute death by natural causes.   It
would be a worthy effort of scientific research to see how to reduce those
deaths, but no moral judgement would be attached to a death by natural
causes.

To question at hand is whether it is moral to kill a [group of cells] after
conception.   There are two possible arguments in favor of this:
   1) The [group of cells] is not human life.
   2) It is acceptable to kill some human lives

>> >You can debate that the early embryonic stages up to some particular
>> >event (say, brain development) are not much different from any other
>> >organ in a person's body.
>>
>>Why would brain development distinguish the [group of cells] in question
>>from the mother's body?
>>
>>How would you apply your definition to other organisms in the mother's
>>body, such as bacteria, parasitic worms, ticks, etc.?
>
>Some have indeed described an embryo as a parasite inside the mother's
>body, with the obvious implication that eliminating it is no different than
>eliminating a tapeworm.

You may make the above argument, and it would appear to be an argument
along the lines of - "abortion is moral, because it is not the taking of a
human life. the [group of cells] is not human."    Do you really wish to
make such an argument?

JDG