At 01:52 PM 4/28/2005 -0500, John Horn wrote:

>> >Which is, of course, a long, long, LONG way off from saying that
>> >Bush is "proposing" to raise this cap.  Either that or he is
>> >"proposing" to invade Iran as well by saying all options are on
>the
>> >table there.
>>
>> That's how politics works, John.
>
>If I recall the conversation correctly, this really doesn't answer
>anything.  Or address the point I was making.  I know politics works
>by saying a lot of different things that you don't necessarily mean.
>That was sorta my point.

Actually, I think that it is just the opposite.   It is the tried-and-true
means of raising an unpopular, but necessary idea, to see if it will walk,
or to see if it will be skewered.   It looked like a fairly obvious "trial
balloon."

Unfortunately, the Republicans seem rather alone in taking the Social
Security problem seriously - whereas the Democrats *still* have yet to show
that they have *any* ideas.

JDG