At 09:51 PM 5/12/2005 -0500, Dan M. wrote:
>> Pardon my
>> bluntness here, but this system is just plain stupid.    Or at the very
>> least, stupidly risky.
>
>You know, back when I started working, it wasn't.

And what happens if the company goes bankrupt?

>If the money were spent to fund SS instead of paying for part of Bush's tax
>cuts,

"Paying for tax cuts" is a non-sequitur.

Social Security is also fully funded this year, so that is a non-sequitur
as well.

> Look at the taxes _and_ the benefits and
> see if, on average, SS is progressive or regressive.

You're playing word games.

A poor person making minimum wage is paying a 15.3% tax rate.

A CEO making $22 million this year is paying a 0.06% tax rate.

That's regressive under anybody's definition of economics.

And oh yeah, that CEO earning $22 million is going to get a taxpayer-funded
check when he retires.

JDG