At 01:44 PM Friday 5/13/2005, Nick Arnett wrote:
On Fri, 13 May 2005 13:22:57 -0500, Ronn!Blankenship wrote

> Sounds like the vast majority of those who are registered as members
> of _any_ currently existing political party.  And probably the vast
> majority of the remainder of the members when it comes to issues
> other than the one or a handful which are hot-button issues for
> those individuals personally.  The adage "When all is said and done,
> there's a lot more said than done," is at least as applicable in
> politics as it is in any other field of human endeavor . . .

As long as we're talking about talking... It seems that sometimes on the list
we assume that all we do is talk.

Remember what happens when you ass_u_me . . .

Speaking for myself, I try to remember that
even though all I know about most of the rest of you is what you say here, it
would be a mistake to assume that all you do is talk.

Seems to me that this list is *about* ideas, not action, so we can't take it
for granted that we are not people of action.

But, goodness do I get tempted to start ticking off what I have done and am
doing to back up my words.  And I've done that sometimes, in fits of self-
righteous defensiveness.

Me, too, although I, too, have learned to at least try to resist the temptation.

(Not always successfully.)

It is not without irony that I note that the folks who pose "you're all talk,
what have you done" sort of challenges seem to be the more academic ones.

Nick
Son of Academics

Note that my message referred to "the vast majority of those who are registered as members of any currently existing political party." Presumably that includes all those who are frex registered Republicans because "my daddy was a Republican all his life and my daddy's daddy was a Republican all his life and . . . " and those who live in places where one pretty much has to declare a party preference when registering to vote. If I were to venture a guess (without taking the time to take a poll or anything like that), I would guess that the fraction of regular participants on this list who are actively involved in off-list areas, including politics, would be significantly higher than that shown by a truly random sample of the populace at large . . .

Or Maybe I Should Just Point To The Disclaimer Maru

-- Ronn! :)

I Am A Trained Professional Smart-Aleck. Do Not Attempt This On Your Own. Neither The Author Of This Message Nor Any Organization He Represents Or Is A Member Of Assumes Any Liability Whatsoever For Any Consequences In The Event You Fail To Heed This Warning.