> Nick Arnett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I just read a bit about people honoring soldiers
> today because it is Mothers' Day.
>
> How about if we honor them by not cutting the VA
> budget by $2.4 billion?  How
> about if we honor them by not putting them into
> battle shorthanded with an unclear mission?  <snip>
>
> But now, some words from Julia Ward Howe's Mother's
> Day proclamation in 1870.
>  Show of hands, please -- how many of us realized
> that Mother's Day is an
> anti-war holiday, inspired by the carnage of the
> Civil War

I had no idea -- but must admit that I was
disappointed by the recent unimpressive voting turnout
by women.  War, even necessary war, is antithetical to
what "we" are taught as girls.

<selected snippets>

> Arise all women who have hearts, whether your
> baptism be that of water or of fears!

> "Our sons shall not be taken from us to unlearn all
> that we have been able to
> teach them of charity, mercy, and patience.
>
> "We women of one country will be too tender of those
> of another country to
> allow our sons to be trained to injure theirs."

> The sword of murder is not the balance of justice!
> Blood does not wipe out
> dishonor nor violence indicate possession.

> As men have often forsaken the plow and the anvil at
> the summons of war, let
> women now leave all that may be left of home for a
> great and earnest day of counsel.

> Let them then solemnly take counsel with each other
> as the means whereby the
> great human family can live in peace,
>
> And each bearing after her own time the sacred
> impress, not of Caesar, but of God.

This makes me think of _The Postman_'s Dena's shock,
that women pre-WWIII hadn't taken up the reins more
eagerly.

Not a comfortable thought.

Debbi
Perhaps Too Moderate A Synthian Maru