----- Original Message -----
From: "Warren Ockrassa" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Killer Bs Discussion" <brin-l@mccmedia.com>
Sent: Wednesday, May 18, 2005 2:17 PM
Subject: Re: Abortion and the Democratic Party Re:
TheAmericanPoliticalLandscape Today

> Something is clearly bothering you here, but unless you're willing to
> state what it is, I can't see how it can be addressed in a rational
> discussion.

I've had an off-line conversation with someone who's on list and
pro-choice.  He has remarked on how clear my arguments were, but told me
that he bet I'd not be able to get you or Gary to see them.

May I suggest that I am arguing with an unspoken presupposition of yours
and Gary's. Those are the hardest for us all to get around, because the
supposition is done so quickly, it's not recognized.  In engineering
applications, those are the ones that cause pretty capable people to miss a
problem for weeks....and is why engineering groups are often helped by
"creative naivety" that is to say someone who has the tools to attack a
problem, but hasn't worked in that area.  An example of this is assuming
that X won't work because you've had bitter experiences with trying to get
X to work 5 years ago.  The reason for that has been addressed by new
technology, so X is now a real solution....but one that you dismiss
instinctively due to your experience.  (Not just you, of course,
engineers/scientists I've worked with have talked about this negative part
of experience).

Dan M.