This isn't about politics, so perhaps nobody cares... ;-)

I forgot to mention earlier that I dragged myself out of bed at 3:15 Friday
morning to see if I could see a weather satellite launch from Vandenberg AFB,
which is about 250 miles south of here.  Sure enough, it was visible, an
orange dot just above the horizon.  With binoculars, the dot resolved into a
bit of a pillar of fire, so to speak.  The vehicle was a Delta II, which makes
a nice bright orange fire from its first stage, but the second stage is liquid
fuel, much less bright, so I only saw it for 30-40 seconds before it vanished
when the first stage went out.  Not realizing that there was more than a few
seconds betweeen stages, I may not have watched long enough to see the second.
.. and it was fading fast and heading for the horizon rapidly.  The launch was
to the south, so it was moving directly away from me the whole time.  It would
have been 75 miles downrange when the first stage shut off, 40 miles altitude.

Not a spectacular sight, but pretty cool knowing what it was.

Dave Land was quite a bit closer and also saw it, so he might add his
impressions.

My only disappointment is that I wasn't on board.  Well, I would have wanted a
few other things on board with me.  Food, oxygen, etc.  When I was a kid, they
promised me we'd all have a chance to go into space!  And here I am a
(unusually young) grandpa, but can I buy a ticket?  Nooooo.

(This wasn't nearly as spectacular as the Peacekeeper launch we saw a while
back.  Peacekeepers climb much higher initially and it was just after sunset,
so the sun lit up its exhaust dramatically.)

Nick