--- [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
 This story was sent to you by: Nick Arnett>
 Related to DB's stories of officers being purged...

 --------------------
 Officers Plot Exit Strategy.....
 --------------------

This is just one example of how obstinate "conservatives" can be. Where, exactly, is the mental ability to grasp that times have changed? If the Old South can switch from solid Democrat to Solid Republican, is it possible to perceive that other things have changed, as well?

For example, that Bill Clinton's record was not just weirdly better - by classic CONSERVATIVE values - but diametrically opposite to George Bush's when it comes to:

deficit spending

paying off the national debt

promoting small business

investing in research and conservation to reduce dependence on foreign oil

increasing (rather than demolishing) military readiness

reducing the actual number of non defense federal employees (for the 1st time since 1912)

reducing the number of words in federal law (the 1st time ever)

increasing transparency and accountability in government, rather than creating a tower of accelerating secrecy

winning foreign wars based upon competence, quickness and overwhelming power, with an exit strategy and smooth transfer of responsibility to allies

avoiding unilateralism in favor of promoting overseas friendships and alliances that increase our influence in ways other than force

appointment of moderate constructionalists to judicial positions based on recommendations by bipartisan panels of distinuished jurists and not based upon political connections or radical beliefs

protecting the political independence of the US Officer Corps and respecting their expertise in war planning

encouraging input from science at all levels while financing vigorous research to give underpinnings to policy (e.g. Climate Change, strategic defense, science education, energy policy)

I could go on and on...

But the significant point here is that these are all good old fashioned conservative positions that Barry Goldwater and Eisenhower would have had no trouble with. Now throw in moderate consensus matters like separating of church state etc...

...and can somebody please parse this out for me? What will it take for basic human pattern recognition to take over from reflex "my side, right or wrong" partisonship?

Ah, but the left is just as bad. Their complete inability to ADDRESS AND EXPLOIT these betrayals of conservatism shows that many liberals are similarly blinkered, blinded and hobbled by archaic dichotomies and ties to the past. They are just as addicted to sanctimony over practicality. Culture war over negotiation and persuasion.

We modernists and moderates have nowhere to turn.