God Warren; THAT sucks....
Look what BBC did with Adam's "Hitchhicker", :D
maybe someone could just do a stage play, maybe a musical adeptation......
Leonard Matusik [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Warren Ockrassa <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:Wed, 1 Jun 2005 07:50:12 -0700

On Jun 1, 2005, at 5:19 AM, Leonard Matusik wrote:

> But Uplift WARS! (see even the name sounds movie-ish)
> That couldn't be a whole lot harder to do than "Planet of the Apes",
> could it?

Which version do you mean? The Heston one with the goofy unlifelike
masks, or the Burton one that was a variant of the first one, which was
almost wholly unrelated to Boulle's book?

***well, the second one of course Warren, I was speaking from a purely
technical perspective.        My KID could do better than the first one these
days>

> And ya got the goofy bird-nazis, the primal primate sex, the action, a
> whole species of "merry pranksters" and the interspecies romance (not
> to mention the cute wittle baby gorillas)

None of which would make it in the States. There's no room for Angelina
Jolie to suspend herself from anything or Ben Affleck to Save The Day™.
There's not even a chance to do extended Lazer Beem® scenes with Great
Big Explosions©, and the primate sex will NOT turn on anyone's target
demographic sufficiently to justify the cost. (Those who would get
turned on are not a significantly large demo to work with anyway.)

There's no opportunity for Coke or Nike product placement and no role
for a "dynamic ethnic talent" such as Will Smith or Chris Rock. None of
the movies would be a "buddy picture" nor a "special effects
extravaganza", and unfortunately there's a waft of Costner stank
hovering about the name "Brin" in certain parts of this universe.

>Now wait a minute here, Will Smith might be able to play Uthacalthing, the
>Tymbrini  ambassidor  and  Danny Devito would be great as Gubru Suzerain of
>Beam and Talon...............But, I'm sorry; you're absolutely right about the
>rest of it.....   I shouldn't have brought it up.

Which means you'd have to pitch on ... heh ... the intellectual appeal
of the story, which is simply beyond the ken of EVERY studio exec
extant in Hollywood, and at the rate they're inbreeding the situation
will not improve for at least another half century. If these novels get
to celluloid my bet's on a UK production.

Which would *not* be a bad idea.

-
Warren Ockrassa, Publisher/Editor, nightwares Books
http://books.nightwares.com/
Current work in progress "The Seven-Year Mirror"
http://www.nightwares.com/books/ockrassa/Flat_Out.pdf