----- Original Message -----
From: "Warren Ockrassa" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Killer Bs Discussion" <brin-l@mccmedia.com>
Sent: Monday, July 25, 2005 4:33 PM
Subject: Re: Harry Potter Discussion (Spoilers!!!) L3

> I'd ask, rather, in what way you believe the books to be like every
> other children's title out there.

I'll certainly agree that the Harry Potter is far above the common crowd in
youth/children's books.  I think though, that a fair criterion for "setting
the bar higher" is superiority over those books that have already set the
bar: i.e. award winning books for youth and children.

There are, actually, some very good books for children that have been
written in the past 50 years.  Off the top of my head, I think there are
two ways that Rowling's work is superior.

1) It has reached many more people than other children's books.  While
commercial success is not a measure of quality, a book series that manages
to be very good while being immensely popular should get bonus points for
reaching an expanded audience.  A popular formula book doesn't become a
good book though popularity, but I think it takes extra skill to write good
fiction that becomes a phenomenon vs. just writing good fiction.

2) Rowling has written for kids that have grown up seven years with the
book.  Every book appears appropriate for readers about Harry's age.  I
cannot think of a book series that grows with the subject in that manner.

As you know, I think the book is well written, teaches important lessons
(as Guatam says) about growing up as the right type of person, etc.  But, I
do not consider this to be unique in all of children's literature.  IMHO,
the two points I raised are Rowlings unique contributions.  The rest is
consistent with her just being an excellent author. :-)

Dan M.

2)