Warren Ockrassa wrote:
 I don't believe they are like every other children's title out there.
They are a mix of familiar elements from two strands of children's
literature - boarding school and fantasy - that in terms of quality
sit somewhere in the middle of the field.

I'll wager you're more immersed in better books for kids. For that reason I'm guessing you don't live in the States. ;)

I remember Reading Rainbow used to always harp on the Carnegie Award winners, and I remember teachers that also did that. Interesting to find out later in life that the Carnegie Awards are British. Odd to see such a major instance of our having to import good thinking.

I find it ironic, too, that the worst player in the Franchise Books for Kids, with their awful advertising direct in our public schools, the Scholastic Corporation, also just happens to be the ones publishing the American editions of the Harry Potter series.

--
--Max Battcher--
http://www.worldmaker.net/