----- Original Message -----
From: "Maru Dubshinki" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Killer Bs Discussion" <brin-l@mccmedia.com>
Sent: Monday, August 22, 2005 12:48 AM
Subject: Re: Physics question

On 8/22/05, Damon Agretto <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >Minimum speed of time is the opposite: all possible acceleration, that
> >is, light speed.    Intuitively, this should make time stand still,
> >and it does. And faster still would be going backwards in time
> >(tachyons, anyone?).
>
> Speaking of which, if this were possible, HOW exactly would time go
> backwards? Would time flow backwards ONLY for the internal time reference
> (I assume; i.e. nuclear decay would go backwards, etc), or would you
> actually be able to see the universe go "backwards" in time in the same
way
> we can now see the universe go forwards?
>
> Damon.

>If a physicist were here,

There are at least two physicists here: Rich and myself.  I've only been
active on the list for about six years, so maybe you didn't notice that I'm
here. :-)

>he'd probably smack us and tell us to
>distinguish between entropy and the arrow of time/dimension of time.

That's not the real problem: the real problem in this thread is that you
are trying to force special relativity (SR) into a classical physics box.
In classical physics, we have x,y,z space, and a separate dimension t. We
have  d^2 =x^2+y^2+z^2 (where d is the distance between two objects.)  The
values for x, y, and z are coordinate system dependant: x, y, and z can be
defined by any three orthanormal vectors (orthanormal vectors are both
mutually orthogonal and have value 1).  The value of d is coordinate system
independent.

In SR, we can see this as 4 dimensional spacetime:  x,y,z, and ict.  We
have, for spacetime, the constant d^2 = x^2 + y^2 + z^2 + (ict)^2 = x^2 +
y^2 + z^2 - (ct)^2.  i=sqrt(-1).  Different relative velocities can be seen
as rotations in spacetime between the space axes and the time axis.  One
way to look at it is to conveniently choose the x axis along the vector of
the relative velocity between the two reference frame one is considering.
In that case, we can reduce 4-space to 2-space: (x and ict).

One thing is critical for relativity: all inertial references frames are
equally valid.  Anything that sneaks a preferred inertial reference frame
in by the back door is inherently invalid, and leads to misunderstanding.
Let's consider two observers in two reference frame.  Observer 1 sees
herself as stationary, and observer 2 as traveling at  about 87% of the
speed of light.  Observer 1 sees observer 2's clock going at 50% of her own
clock; sees objects in observer 2's reference frame as twice as heavy, and
sees objects about 50% shorter than normal in observe 2's reference frame,
along the direction of observer 2's velocity.

Also,  observer 2 sees herself as stationary, and observer 1 as traveling
at  about 87% of the speed of light.  Observer 2 sees observer 1's clock
going at 50% of her own clock; sees objects in observer 1's reference frame
as twice as heavy, and sees objects about 50% shorter than normal in
observe 1's reference frame, along the direction of observer 1's velocity.

There is perfect symmetry.  Each observation is equally valid.

Finally, two objects that are timelike (a signal at the speed of light can
travel from one point in spacetime to another), will have the same sequence
in time for all observers.  Two objects that are spacelike (a signal at the
speed of light cannot travel from one point in spacetime to another), will
be simultaneous in one inertial system, have A before B for some reference
systems, and have B before A in the remainder of the reference systems.

Hope this helps.  If there are any questions, just yell.

Dan M.