----- Original Message -----
From: "Warren Ockrassa" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Killer Bs Discussion" <brin-l@mccmedia.com>
Sent: Sunday, September 04, 2005 10:12 PM
Subject: Re: The Doom That Came To N'Warlins - II

> On Sep 4, 2005, at 7:00 PM, Robert Seeberger wrote:
>
>> Warren, I *am* disappointed that you think so little of me. I like
>> you
>> and what you have to say. You show passion for things in ways most
>> here seem to fear revealing. So no, I'm not playing a debate team
>> spin
>> card. That has been pretty popular around here of late and seems to
>> have replaced the exchange of frank views for the most part. I
>> don't
>> want to join anyone's debate team though. I'd rather have folks
>> here
>> be my friends than have them as cohorts or adversaries.
>
> I appreciate that; the issue I had was the sense you seemed to have
> that anyone not publicly engaged in breast-beating was somehow
> concerned over petty issues rather than the human suffering taking
> place in NO. Since I was included in that rather large group, it
> seemed to me that the low opinion wasn't mine to begin with.

I think the link that Ritu posted earlier is a good example of what I
am hoping to see more of on the list. We used to have rather a lot of
that kind of sharing here.
I apologise to those who felt offense. Those who know me know that I
am often not very precise and clear sometimes. I often find great
difficulty expressing myself and even when I am possessed of a moment
of clarity I have trouble writing effectively.

My writing is much improved in the years since I joined the list but
there are limitations I encounter when trying to "get it out" wherein
I leave myself wide open to interpretation.
I would likely have been better off asking "Why are you talking about
gas prices when people are dying?" and leaving my personal
disappointment at what I was reading out of the equation.

> I'm not interested in "debate teams" either, but when I feel I've
> been insulted by someone who then claims *I* am the one holding the
> low opinion, perhaps you can understand how I'd feel somewhat
> incensed by the tone of the comment.
>
> I don't think public wailing will do anything productive here. Yes,
> things are terrible for New Orleans in ways that few of us can
> conceive, but that's been happening a *lot* in this nation in the
> last half decade, and not a little of it has been elective and
> self-inflicted.
>
> Given that we're bankrupting our great-grandchildren in foolish
> warfare *and* there's a moron in charge for whom too many seem
> willing to apologize and cover; and given that the fiscal
> repercussions of Katrina are going to affect us for decades, is it
> surprising that the focus of the discussion is more on these issues?
>
> The suffering of 20K people is awful. No argument there. But the
> long-term aftereffects are going to affect a lot more than 20K
> people, for a large number of years, and the next time something
> like this happens, if we're still badly prepared, things will be
> just as bad. It seems to me that these are important considerations
> to bring up, and that shaking out the problems might be more
> effective than words of sympathy.

Where are you getting the number 20K from?
I would estimate 2 million to be closer to the actual number of people
who have suffered seriously from Katrina.

xponent
Saints In NYC Maru
rob