On Sep 5, 2005, at 6:22 AM, Robert Seeberger wrote:

Warren Ockrassa wrote:
On Sep 4, 2005, at 11:51 PM, Robert Seeberger wrote:

I do know that it really bothered me after the tsunami that it
never
was discussed, and I don't think varying grief modes can explain
that.

FWIW, one of the things I'm fairly conscious of is that noises of
sympathy are just that; they can't really do much materially to
help.

 Well,... Thank You, I'm Sorry, Your Welcome, and Please are noises
 that don't do much materially, but just the same are expected.

Yes, of course; I think I'm thinking of it more from my atheistic attitude. Even when you're directly affected — okay, from my POV, if I were directly affected — comments like "I'm praying for you" or even "I'm thinking of you" are good from the perspective if knowing someone cares, which is emotionally gratifying; but a prayer, to my mind, is less useful than a monetary contribution.

It's a little like the US flags that started appearing everywhere after 9/11/01. Nice gesture but, literally, the least that could be done. Just a note of solidarity, an addendum to one's busy life as made on one's bumper. In short not much. And given that a significant minority of those gestural flag-wavers chose, in one way or another, to support an unjust war, well … argh. Old, well, trod ground now. You get what I mean, I think.

But from a distance (say 1500 miles), how much more hollow must those gestures of solidarity be?

And sympathy is a terrible burden on the recipient. Here am I, miserable and bereft, and I have to somehow muster the strength to say "thank you" when I've been drinking water of questionable potability for three days?

There is nothing I can physically do to help. I can't go and volunteer assistance; given the way "Homeland Security" has got itself into everything I can't be sure the Red Cross will deliver assistance I could donate to; I genuinely feel stymied, not the least by the government I did not elect and which does not speak for me.

I understand courtesy, of course; but I think sometimes a greater courtesy is simply to remain reticent. Though I hate feeling so goddamned helpless.

Robert, I don't have a low opinion of you. I just feel utterly impotent and don't know how to make that become different. Anger you felt was frustration vented, but was not intended for you. I'm sorry; I apologize for that heat. I was wrong.

Thanks, BTW, for the kind general comments. I was on B-L pre-1999 and remember how personal it could get then sometimes, personal as in "this is my raw wounded heart", not "goddammit, you suck!". That's still here, I think, though there have been polemical tilts and sallies. C'est la B, perhaps.

--
Warren Ockrassa, Publisher/Editor, nightwares Books
http://books.nightwares.com/