Dave Land wrote:
On Nov 30, 2005, at 1:58 PM, Robert J. Chassell wrote:

    "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one
    may have to back up his acts with his life."
    -- Robert A. Heinlein, _Beyond the Horizon_, 1942

I am not much of a sci-fi fan, and I suspect that there may be one or two in this group, so let me ask: Is it Gospel because it is Heinlein, or can one safely read this and say "what a crock of shit"?

I have a friend who is a fairly well-rounded geek (i.e., has read or seen a little of everything), and one evening in college (we were in the same dorm), I was walking by with two books, and he asked what they were.

"Oh, I've got one by Heinlein and one by Dick."

"Isn't that redundant?"

Take from that what you will.

        Julia