----- Original Message -----
From: "Robert Seeberger" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Killer Bs Discussion" <brin-l@mccmedia.com>
Sent: Sunday, December 11, 2005 9:16 AM
Subject: Re: Bitter Fruit

Certainly, the increased demand from the Asian sector (which includes China
and India) is an important factor.  When oil dropped through the floor in
1999, there was a combination of factors that included a big spike up in
Iraqi oil exports combined with a lessening of the increase in demand for
oil.  A quick google didn't pull up the chart I found a week ago, but I
think that demand from '98 to '99 either went up 1% or was flat.

So, if Iraq oil production was now at 4 million barrels/day, we would not
have $10.00 oil.  We also would not have $60.00 oil.  This summer, I read
that the spare production was down to half a million barrels/day.  If Iraq
was up at 4, that would be closer to 3.  Rough guess from past trends, I'd
say that oil would have stayed near the price it was at in the year or so
before the war if things went as planned.

One thing that amazes me is how inelastic demand was between $30 oil and
$60 oil.  We are starting to see an effect, but 2005 should be a record
year for world oil consumption.  This indicates to me, since short term
supply is also fairly inelastic, that oil prices are very sensitive to
relatively minor (in a percentage basis) variations in the supply/demand
balance.

Dan M.

Dan M.