On Dec 18, 2005, at 12:00 PM, PAT MATHEWS wrote:

From: Dave Land <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

On Dec 18, 2005, at 9:53 AM, Julia Thompson wrote:

She's not going to name him "Hoss" or "Skeeter", but he might have his daddy's name, or he might have the name of one or more of his first cousins, and nicknames like "Hoss" or "Skeeter" will identify him more precisely than "Sterling" if there are already 5 Sterlings out of 50 male relatives in the county.

You really think that there are a lot of Sterlings "up holler"? I know you're way behind on your email, but "Sterling"? That's a name to get your ass a good whoopin' in some parts.

Whereabouts are you from? There's plenty of Sterlings down here.

I live in San Jose, CA, where there is no shortage of Sterlings, Spencers, Taylors, McKenzies and other children with last names for first names (it is something of a rage to have kids whose names sound like the first class passenger manifesto of a British ocean liner of the 1920s), but I am originally from Pittsburgh, PA, which is closer to Appalachia than you might think. That said, I may be talking out of my ass on this one. Nick's dad is *from* Appalachia, so he's probably a better authority on how many Sterlings there are in a typical hollow.

One of my childhood pals -- a boy -- was named Jan ("Yawn"), but everyone called him Josh ("Yosh"), and nobody kicked his ass. We also had Stash ("Stosh") and Gabe (who was really Gabor), and nobody kicked their asses, either. Actually, a good name to have to get your ass kicked in my neighborhood was "Dave Land".

Dave