Dave Land wrote:
On Dec 18, 2005, at 9:53 AM, Julia Thompson wrote:

She's not going to name him "Hoss" or "Skeeter", but he might have his daddy's name, or he might have the name of one or more of his first cousins, and nicknames like "Hoss" or "Skeeter" will identify him more precisely than "Sterling" if there are already 5 Sterlings out of 50 male relatives in the county.

You really think that there are a lot of Sterlings "up holler"? I know you're way behind on your email, but "Sterling"? That's a name to get your ass a good whoopin' in some parts.

More like in the piedmont than in the mountains proper.

And I'm related to a Sterling, that's why I engaged in that particular piece of proctonomenclature. (Is that the right word?)

One tradition in the old south was to give the first son the mother's maiden name as a first name. So if the mother's maiden name was, in fact, Sterling, and she had a lot of sisters, you could have a real passel of Sterlings running around.

        Julia

whose families avoided that one, and just used the middle name to pass along all the family names