Andrew Paul wrote:

Mauro's recipe is pretty good.. Not that I have actually ever made
one, just eaten plenty, but the thrust is correct. Basically meat
with meat and meat sauce, wrapped in pastry. Ones with bacon would
usually be clearly identified as such (i.e. Steak and Bacon) as would
often those with vegetables (Steak and Vegetables). I dare say onion
is probably used in even the most meat focussed however, but just to
flavour the juice. There are of course plenty of variants.. Lamb pies
being a personal fave, and now the more esoteric, which are just
taking things too far for mine, such as asparagus/truffle/chicken
pies or tuna and avocado pies. Verging on blasphemy. For the original
style:

http://www.post-gazette.com/food/20000914australia1d.asp

Of course I cant be sure what someone in Austin is going to do to
them, but if anyone is going to do it, I suppose Texan's might go
close.

Football, Meat pies, Kangaroo's and Holden cars Maru

The Austinite in question was working in Australia (Dell moved him out there, he'd been working in Austin/Round Rock before then) for at least 3 years and fell in love with meat pies, and thought that enough other folks in Austin would feel the same way that he could make a go at running a restaurant. :) (From the sounds of it, it's pretty affordable, as well.)

On the blasphemy list, turkey & avacado wouldn't be so bad. (That's a combination I see offered for sandwiches, anyway.) But something with lots of beef and some potato sounds really, really good to me. He is offering some vegetarian selections (you can't open an off-beat restaurant in Austin and NOT have vegetarian selections, if you want to stay in business for very long), as well, but depending on what's in them, I might be more inclined to stick to the beef.

(Have I mentioned that I like beef? Well, except I prefer chicken in Chinese (or quasi-Chinese, that would be a more accurate description) and Tex-Mex situations. Mmm. Tex-Mex. Gotta get me some more of that in a sit-down place soon. With a margarita.)

        Julia