On 19 Mar 2006 at 21:31, Doug Pensinger wrote:

> Andrew wrote:
>

> > Sure. Because then they'll come to America. And England. And other
> > western counties.
> >
> > All in all, if they want to die for the cause, I'd prefer they did so
> > over there.
>
> Iraq is to terrorists what a swamp is to mosquitos.  We dry up the swamp -
> or at least some portion of it - by leaving.

How much of a portion, however? Most of the groups active in Iraq
have made it clear that they won't respect borders in what they see
as an ideological struggle.

> > AndrewC
> > (Do remember, I'm Jewish, Zionist and have VERY strong views on the
> > subject of terror)
>
> Then you should be against engaging in activites that have a tendency to
> increase the terrorist's numbers and increase their motivation to attack
> the West and eventually Israel as well.

Israel is and isn't a different situation.

It is, because the portion of the violence between palestian
nationalists and Isralies is not, has never been and never will be
religious at its heart. It is, quite simply, about land and water
rights. Politics dictates, to a large extent, the ebb and flow of
this violence.

It isn't, because seperately from that, there are terrorist groups
who operate under a number of banners and who attack Israel. These
groups have a fairly consistant attack rate, regardless of the
political situation. They motivation is ideological.

There's a pretty simple lesson there.

AndrewC
Dawn Falcon