If he thought that would have been sufficient, I don't think that Clinton
would have settled for half a loaf.  From what I've read, North Korea has
1000 pieces that are capable of hitting Seoul....and about 8000 that are
capable of hitting S. Korean forces. Some of these are in hardened sites,
and some of them are mobile. They also have extensive chemical and
biological weapon capabilities. From Gulf War II and Desert Storm, I'd guess
it would take at least a day to eliminate half of these...two days to
eliminate 75%, etc....until the S. Korean and US forces were able to cross
the DMZ and push the N. Korean forces back.

Even though the S. Korean military, by itself, should be strong enough to
win a second Korean war within a month, the N. Korean armed forces are
capable of inflicting tremendous damage during such a war.  Estimates that
I've seen indicate that, with a massive US presence (as you suggested), N.
Korea's capacity would be severely degraded within a week.  The problem is
that this isn't sufficient for S. Korea to be sanguine about the results of
a second Korean war.  During that week, they could sustain massive
casualties....most of which would occur in the first day or two.

Dan M.

Dan M.