Dan Minette wrote:
Tom Friedman had two very good columns on Iraq in the last couple of weeks.
Second, if we withdraw, and the outcome is civil strife/civil war, the
middle outcome would be seen. It would be a mitigated disaster, if you
would.  The Iranian influence on the Shiites would be tempered by that
natural Persian/Arab distrust (which goes back centuries).  The influence
on/acceptability by the Sunni's by AQ would lesson, without the US to hold
up as occupiers.  The conflict would be bloody, with significant human
rights violations by the militia common place (e.g. death squads, mass
killings of civilians), but it would probably not draw in other nations.

Personally, I think the best solution is to help Iraq turn
into three separate countries in a peaceful manner.
(One each for the Kurds, Sunnis and Shiites.)

This doesn't fit in with our geo-political plans, or those
of Turkey, etc.  So what?  It would be best for the Iraqi
people, and doing what's best for them is about the only
remaining excuse for the whole war in the first place.

                                ---David

Ruling a country is like cooking a small fish, and
all that.