Q. for Dr. Z: Is an acoustic neuroma considered a type of "brain tumor"? (Based
on what I have read on the subject, ISTM the answer is "No," but then IANAMD,
nor do I play one on TV . . . )

 It is not a tumor of the brain but rather a tumor arising from cells  (schwann
cells) that cover nerves leaving the brain. Most but not all are benign.
Generically we lump all of these together and central nervous system tumors but
they do not arise from the cells that typically cause tumors in the brain
itself. "Brain tumor most often arise from support cells in the brain
(astrocytes, oligodendrocytes, ependymocytes) and lest commonly from neurons
(Ganglioglioma, Central Neurocytoma, Primitive neuroectodermal tumors). Nerves
cells rarely divide after developement and therefore are not subject to harmful
mutations.